Monday 29 June 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit

Well, it didn't last long. I need to virtualise 64 bit machines so I have to go back to ubuntu 64. Story is though that this was easier than I imagined.
First up was a fresh installation of ubuntu 9.04. To speed things up I used ext4 file system and now my laptop boots into usable workspace in about 30 seconds.

From there, I installed Lotus Notes 8.5 client using instructions here:
http://www.rayd.co.uk/blogs/rayblog.nsf/d6plinks/Ubuntu64
I had all my "nsf" files on my Windows Vista partition and I wanted to keep this so I created symbolic links back to those files. Glad to report that Notes 8.5 works happily on Ubuntu 64. Symphony and Sametime work without issues.

Next was Sun Java from the Add/Remove applications - OK
Next I decided to update Office to 3.1 by following the instructions here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-1-on-Ubuntu-9-04-111105.shtml

Next I wanted WINK screen tutorial software. This does not work on 32 bit but I found instructions on how to get it working here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=938838

Next up was getting Evolution mail to work with my aol account - no problems use IMAP communcation inbound (host=imap.aol.com) and smpt outbound (smtp.aol.com). Aol requires authentication for outbound of course but this can be set up with the wizard.

Must have a JVM in my browser so that is easily done with:
sudo apt install sun-java6-plugin

I like SciTe as an editor so installed that directly with Add/Remove applications from the gnome interface.

Since I have a windows program l use a lot I also installed wine.

Lastly I wanted to get DVD's working on this machine so installed medibuntu with:
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
Next added the GPG key
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
Next, installed VLC media player using Add/Remove programs
And lastly, the restricted content viewer libraries
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
So, now I can watch DVD's too.

No comments:

Post a Comment