Wednesday 8 July 2009

Getting portal started with DB2 Express and ubuntu 9.04 64 bit

See my previous postings as to how I got Portal 6.1.0.1 and DB2 Express 9.7 installed on my ubuntu 9.04 64 bit laptop.
At this point, DB2 can start by "su db2inst1" and I can start Portal on the default "derby" database as "root" only.
I want to ensure that portal starts as the user "db2ins1". To achive that I had to :

$ su root
# cd /opt/IBM
# chown -R db2inst1 WebSphere
# exit

This set of commands ensures that all of the WebSphere stuff is owned by the db2inst1 user. Now, this user can start DB2 Express AND then start Portal. A couple of short shell scripts can do this for me:

startPortal.sh script
db2start
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/bin/startServer.sh WebSphere_Portal

stopPortal.sh script
/opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/bin/stopServer.sh WebSphere_Portal -user db2inst1 -password {password of db2inst1}
db2stop

Much better but before we use these scripts we have to do a database "transfer" so that Portal knows to use DB2. This is well documented in the Portal infocenter so just follow intructions there. However, make sure that you use the "instance owner" id for the "database administrator" fields in the Portal property files. My mistake was using the DB2 "admin" user created during the db2 install. However this is NOT the user expected by Portal. The instance owner is the one you should use.

No comments:

Post a Comment