1) you MUST change the symbolic link of the shell by logging on as root
$ su root
# cd /bin
# rm ./sh
# ln -s bash sh
2) You must have a Sun Java environment - you can install this from Applications>Add/Remove and search for "sun" or:
3) I would recommend also installing the Sun Java plug in for the browser
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
4) Make sure you can ping
$ ping portal
$ ping portal.infosys.co.uk
5) Next ensure you have the needed libraries with:
$ sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 ia32-libs
6) Now do a "standard" installation and you will have portal up and running on the bundled debry database.
As a final step, I would recommend ensuring that the entire "WebSphere" folder structure has its ownership changed to a user that will eventually run the portal. You can defer this step until after the database is installed and transferred.
Now portal starts with
$ su root
# cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/wp_profile/bin
# ./startServer.sh WebSphere_Portal
Get to the front screen by directing your browser to:
Starts like a dream!